Monday, April 14, 2014

Much Ado About Facebook

Last Sunday evening, I decided to see what life was like, 10 years ago, before I joined Facebook. The Face Place came out my freshman year of college, and the UW was one of the first schools invited to participate. The truth is that I really love FB--it has never been easier to connect with people. But is that part of the problem? Is social making me stupidIs FB making me feel bad about myself? Have I forgotten how to talk to humans and share emotions? So many questions.

Today marks one week of no Instagram and very minimal Facebook. I currently log onto FB once a day to check for messages, to which I respond via email or phone. I don't read the feed at all, which is harder than it sounds, since it is RIGHT THERE.


Here is what I've learned so far on my Facebook / Instagram break:

1. I feel lonelier sans social media. I known this sounds ridiculous, especially since I still access Twitter and the blogs. What the heck is my problem?? But I think it's because people post personal things on Facebook--pictures, funny stuff, losses, and celebrations. I miss the stories and have a bad case of social media FOMO (fear of missing out). Yet the "reality" part of me realizes that, for example, if my college acquaintance got married, and I found out via Facebook, are we really friends? Does seeing her pictures make me feel guilty for not keeping in touch or envious of not being invited? Without FB, would I ever have seen her wedding photos at all?

2. I find myself calling people a lot. If you are one of my few and faithful blog readers, I probably called you this past weekend or will in the near future! I called like eight people on Sunday alone just to chit chat. I didn't leave a lot of time to make calls prior to this, nor did I feel much of an incentive because I could just simply log on FB for an update.

3. What is sustainable? That's the million dollar question in this whole social media break. I don't have an end date for my break in mind; I kind of feel like I will know if and when it's time to log back on. If given free reign, will I be able to limit my time to just a few minutes a day? No one knows.

In the mean time, give me a call or shoot me an email. I would love to catch up. Just don't Snapchat me--I gave that up too. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm 5.5 weeks into my second annual Lenten withdrawal from FB. Similar to you, I only check on my computer, which (at most) is once a day. So far it has been good. Along the way, I blocked posts from a couple of people who were way too political or controversial in their posts... I may even agree with them but I don't need the stress. Will I continue the break when Lent is over on Sunday? No one knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Along the way, I blocked posts from a couple of people who were way too political or controversial in their posts... I may even agree with them but I don't need the stress."

      Yes! It is amazing how much emotional energy it takes to process everyone's posts.

      Delete